The ISIS militants have executed three brothers by beheading them on charges of having links with the government and security institutions in Nangahrar province.
A local government source said the incident had taken place late on Sunday night in the vicinity of Chaparhar district.
The source further added that the three brothers were apparently decapitated on charges of supporting the government and security officials.
The militants affiliated with the terror group beheaded a child in northern Jawzjan province few days ago.
The local officials confirmed on Tuesday that the incident had taken place in the vicinity of Darzab district, home to several ISIS militants.
Provincial security chief Abdul Hafiz Khashi said the child, believed to be 14-year-old, was beheaded by ISIS militants because he was taking food and water to the security forces in the area.
Khashi further added that the victim has been identified as Rahimdad and was helping the security forces voluntarily.
This comes as counter-terrorism operations and airstrikes are underway by the Afghan and US forces in Nangarhar and other parts of the country to root out the militants affiliated with the terror group as they attempt expand foothold in the restive parts of the country.
Taliban militants have kidnapped four passengers from a vehicle in Chisht-e-Sharif district of western Herat province, an official said on Monday.
Sayed Karim Zahid, the district’s administrative chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News the insurgents stopped a civilian vehicle and kidnapped four passengers towards Dara-i-Takht locality of the district on Sunday. He had no information about the fate of the missing persons.
Zahid said the incident happened in an area under Taliban’s control, but still police were investigating it.
The passengers were on their way to Herat City, the provincial capital, from neighboring Ghor province.
On the other hand, Mohammad Kabir, the Shahrak-e-Ghor district chief, put the number of those kidnapped by Taliban at five.
The delegation tasked by President Ghani to investigate the incident occurred a while ago in the Dashte Archi district of Kunduz province has not yet announced its findings, with some analysts believing that the incident will remain cloaked in mystery similar to other such cases.
Almost three weeks ago, an airstrike carried out by Afghan forces targeted a graduation ceremony at a madrasa in Dashte Archi district, reportedly inflicting massive casualties on civilians. Although the Ministry of Defense insisted that militants had been killed in the airstrike, President Ghani assigned an envoy to probe into the bombing.
President Ghani assigned the delegation to assuage public rage, believes Hajji Elyas, a tribal leader from Kunduz, adding that the findings have not come out so far, and that the government seems to be lacking the will to reflect what really happened.
“The delegation came here, but did not visit Dashte Archi. They did not talk to journalists either. They only stayed at the governor’s house, and then left. So what we should expect from their findings,” he told The Heart of Asia, adding that the Dashte Archi incident will also be forgotten like others.
If the government was willing to conduct real investigations of the incident, Mohammad Hassan Haqyar, a political expert, believes, the assigned delegation would share its findings with the public daily.
Talking to The Heart of Asia, Haqyar described the findings of the delegation as useless because members of the delegation have not paid a visit to the area of incident, and have not met family members of the victims.
According to him, if the government whitewashes the findings of Kunduz incident, and the perpetrators again blindly drop bombs on civilians, the government should not expect the public to support it.
Abdullah Sahel, a journalist based in Kunduz, says the delegation assigned by President Ghani spent a week in Kunduz, but no one could meet them, except government officials.
The delegation also has not met with the affected families, Sahel said, claiming that the delegates had also been advised not to talk to the media.
Kunduz Governor’s House, however, has said in a press statement that findings of the probe into the Dashte Archi incident would be shared with the public.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) says they are not authorized to comment on the issue, and that the assigned delegation should announce the result of the investigations.
Mohammad Radmanish, the acting MoD spokesman, told The Heart of Asia that they had shared all details of the incident with people at the initial days, concluding they had no information about the developments unfolded during the investigation.
Independent Elections Commission on Sunday announced the timeline of the country's parliamentary and district council election which are due to be held in October.
Voter registration has already begun for the polls and the process will end on June 12.
Based on the timeline that was announced by IEC chief Gula Jan Abdulbadi Sayad, registration of candidates for both the elections will begin on 26th May and end on 12th June.
Preliminary list of candidates will be announced on June 28 while the final list will be out on August 3.
The candidates can withdraw nomination between June 29 and August 1.
Campaign for parliamentary elections will begin on September 28 and end on October 17, while that for district councils elections will be between 3-17 October.
The final results of parliamentary elections will be announced on December 20 while the final results of district councils vote will be on January 24.
According to the timeline, the final list of voting centers will be announced on June 23.
Police have arrested Najibullah Kabuli, the Hezb-i-Musharikat Milli Afghanistan leader who has been sentenced to one year imprisonment by a primary court, an official said on Sunday.
Hashmatullah Stanikzai, a Kabul police official, said Kabuli was arrested in connection with a criminal case on Saturday. Details about his detention should be shared by the relevant court, he added.
Kabuli, who is currently in police custody, told Pajhwok Afghan News in a telephonic conversation that he had been held in connection with legal claims and had been jailed for one year.
However, he did not name anyone but said someone had presented fake documents regarding his involvement in an attack on the residence of that person. The applicant says he was wounded in the assault.
“The claim of my involvement is wrong and his documents are forged. But the applicant’s bosses has taken a decision in his favour,” he added without naming anyone.
Major economic powers and international institutions have announced support for Afghanistan’s economic programs and the government’s reform agenda.
A statement from the Afghan embassy in Washington said on Sunday the support pledge came during a meeting attended by representatives of major economies and Finance Minister Eklil Hakimi.
Hakimi briefed representatives of the international community about progress in implementation of Afghanistan’s reform agenda over the past two years and economic activities in the war-torn country.
Hakimi said Afghanistan had kept its promises within the National Framework it had pledged to evolve at the Brussels Conference. Some of the targets had been achieved in a shorted time, he claimed.
The finance minister said a new system for revenue collection was being established to help boost Afghanistan’s annual revenue from six billion Afghanis to nine billion Afghanis.
Representatives of the USAID, European Union, World Bank, the United Kingdom, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, Canada and other countries attended the huddle.
Independent Election Commission (IEC) officials on Sunday said polls could not be held in five districts of southern Helmand province.
Local law-enforcement officials had earlier promised ensuring security in most areas of Helmand ahead of parliamentary and district council elections, set for October this year.
Ahmad Shah Sahibzada, IEC’s acting head for Helmand, told Pajhwok Afghan News the Ministry of Interior (MoI) and the commission’s head office had told them conducting elections was not possible in five districts.
The insecure districts include Baghran, Musa Qala, Nawzad, Khanshin and Dishu, which were under Taliban control, the IEC official said.
Sahibzada added they had employed officers to handle poll-related election affairs in the five districts but enforcing order there was the responsibility of security organs.
Except Nawa and Greshk, all other districts are under threat from Taliban militants. The government controls 50 percent territory in Nawa and Greshk districts.
Even the third police district of Lashkargah, the provincial capital, has been a battleground while the fourth police district is fully controlled by the insurgents.
Governor Hayatullah Hayatalso acknowledged that voter registration and holding elections in the five districts would not be possible.
He said that they had suggested voting on the basis of electoral districts so that rights of those who were unable to cast ballots were not violated.
Attaullah Afghan, the Helmand provincial council head, warned the elections would be symbolic in the province if a pre-poll clearing operation was not conducted.
He said six districts including Sangin were under Taliban control. The government had sway over office complexes in Marja, Garmser, Kajaki and Washir districts.
Naad Ali district is also not ready for elections. Polls could be conducted only in Nawa and Greshk districts, Afghan said, adding elections in Helmand should be based on electoral district.
In the last one week, 6,000 people in Helmand have registered as voters.
The police chief for the Chahar Bolak district of northern Balkh province has succumbed to his injuries, an official said on Sunday.
Police spokesman Sher Jan Durrani told Pajhwok Afghan News the police official had been wounded in a clash with militants in the district on Saturday.
Chahar Bolak police commander Zabit Khanjar died at a hospital, he said, adding that an operation were still underway against militants in the district.
More than 10 insurgents had been killed and several villages purged of the fighters, the police spokesman said.
On the other hand, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said an attack by security forces had been repulsed in Chahar Bolak. The security officials suffered heavy casualties, he claimed, saying only two rebels were killed.
Afghanistan’s state electricity firm, Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS), signed three contracts for the implementation of electricity projects in central Bamyan province of Afghanistan.
The contracts were signed between DABS, Chinese, and Indian firms during a ceremony in the presence of President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Durani Waziri says the first contract was signed for the establishment of transmission line from Doshi substation to Bamiyan.
She said the power transmission line will have a length of 180 kilometers and will be built with a total cost of 43.8 million US Dollars.
According to Waziri, the second contract was signed for the construction of a 220 kV substation in Dasht-e-Azhdar area of Bamyan province.
She also added that the construction of the substation will bear a cost of around 11.6 million US Dollars.
In the meantime, Waziri said the third contract was signed for the construction of the electricity distribution network in Bamyan city.
She said the construction of the network will cost around 24.1 million US Dollars and will supply electricity to 20 thousand families in the first phase while 350 thousand families will benefit eventually.
Fifty-seven people were killed and 119 others injured in a suicide attack on a voter registration center in the Dasht-i-Barchi area of capital Kabul on Sunday morning, the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) said.
MoPH spokesman Wahidullah Majroh told Pajhwok Afghan News that among the dead were 21 women and five children while 47 women and 16 children had been injured in the bombing.
Kabul police spokesman Hashmatullah Stanikzai said the explosion happened when a suicide bomber targeted civilians who had queued up to register their names for voting at the facility at around 10:00am.
Disturbing scenes on local TV channels showed pools of blood and shattered glasses on the street.
Angry crowds shouted “Death to the government!” and “Death to the Taliban!”
A wounded man in a hospital bed wept as he told Ariana TV: “I don’t know where my daughters are. God damn the attackers!”
A witness to the attack, Akbar, told Tolonews: “Now we know the government cannot provide security for us; we have to get armed and protect ourselves.”
Photos posted on social media purportedly of the scene showed several bodies on the ground and a badly damaged two-story building.
Independent Election Commission began registering voters on April 14 for the long-delayed legislative elections.
Officials have acknowledged that security is a major concern as the Taliban and other militant groups control or contest large swathes of the country.
Afghan police and troops have been tasked with protecting polling centers, even as they struggle to get the upper hand against insurgents on the battlefield.
Militants on Friday launched rockets at a voter registration center in the northwestern province of Badghis.
At least one police officer was killed and another person was wounded, officials said, blaming the Taliban.
On Tuesday, gunmen attacked a voter registration center in western Ghor province.
kidnapping three election workers and two policemen.
Taliban militants released the five on Thursday.
In a second bombing on Sunday, insurgents placed an IED close to a voter registration center in Pul-e-Khumri city in Baghlan, killing at least six people, officials confirmed.
The explosion happened shortly after 12 noon.
Baghlan officials also confirmed at least five people were wounded in the explosion.
According to them, all victims were members of one family and women and children were among the dead and wounded.
Health officials said the family had been driving past the voter registration center when the explosives detonated.