Afghan forces regain control of Anar Dara district amid intense battle

Tuesday, 13 March 2018 03:28 Written by  Heart of Asia Read 89 times

Security forces regained control of Anar Dara district of western Farah province amid an intense gunbattle that left more than 60 dead and wounded on both warring sides on Monday, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) said.
MoD spokesman Maj. Gen. Dawlat Waziri said 36 militants and 27 security personnel were killed and injured in the violence. He said the injured security men included 20 Afghan National Army (ANA) troops.
Earlier, Farid Bakhtawar, head of the Provincial Council (PC), said security forces retook control of the Anar Dara district center from insurgents at around 1pm.
He, however, said a severe fighting between security forces and Taliban gunmen was underway in Dehna Bala locality of the district.
Bakhtawar said reinforcements had reached the area.
Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, a Taliban spokesman, said 15 security forces were killed and the district was captured by the Taliban.
This comes as last week 28 Afghan forces, including 10 members of Afghan commando, were killed in Taliban attack.
Unconfirmed reports suggest that the commando had asked for reinforcement and air support, but they were denied under the pretext of bad weather.

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.