Kunduz operation triggers complaints from residents

Wednesday, 19 April 2017 03:27 Written by  Heart of Asia Read 34 times

An ongoing operation codenamed (Khalid) in the capital of northern Kunduz province has been a failure, public representatives and residents claimed on Tuesday.

 

Provincial Council (PC) member Safiullah Amiri, who visited the area, told Pajhwok Afghan News the operation against Taliban was launched four days ago in Kunduz City, but there had been no progress yet.

He said schools had been closed and residents forced from their houses due to the ongoing offensive against the insurgents. However, 80 percent of Kunduz was still under Taliban’s control, he alleged.

Gul Agha, an inhabitant of the locality, complained: “Our houses have been turned into trenches by both sides. We have been displaced and schools shut. If the operation continues like this, results can’t be achieved in a year.”

But ND Director Col. Safar Mohammad said Mullah Sardar, Faiz Mohammad and Panjshiri villages on the outskirts of Kunduz City had been cleared of militants. The operation was still ongoing, he added.